By Tunde Oyekola, Osogbo
Following the death by electrocution of a 21-year-old electrician, Mutiu Aderemi, while working on a low tension electric pole around Aleegun area of Ota Efun, Osogbo, the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company, IBEDC, on Tuesday said it would henceforth seek prosecution of anyone caught accessing any of its facilities illegally.
It was gathered that Aderemi, who has an electrical shop in the area, died when the electric pole he climbed broke and cable fell on him.
Residents of the neighbourhood where the incident happened told newsmen that they heard a loud noise and rushed out only to discover the lifeless body of the electrician.
“He was badly burnt and already dead when we arrived the scene. The police were later called in and the body was evacuated. The remains of the deceased was later released and buried by his family,” a resident, who
pleaded not to be named said.
Reacting to the development, Communication and Branding Officer of IBEDC for Osun Region of IBEDC, Kikelomo Owoeye, said the company had been warning residents against tampering with its facilities.
“We have had lots of cases being handled by the police and NSCDC for us concerning those caught in the act of illegal access to our facilities, but we would be glad if communities will work with us in ensuring that their members are not engaging in this criminal act so as to avoid untimely death and loss of lives and property.
“IBEDC is ready to serve the customers better so if there are faultson their lines they should not hesitate to report to us. There are procedures to these technical operations people should exercise patience while we resolve any faults on their line rather than engaging any electrician who is not our staff and would not follow the
procedure because we have our safety rules, which those being hired might be ignorant of,” Owoeye said.