In separate letters addressed to the national chairman on Tuesday, the stakeholders and some aspirants insisted on direct primaries.
In their letter, the stakeholders argued in favour of direct primaries, saying it would foster democracy and discourage underhand dealings in the conduct of the primaries.
“As democrats, we found the decision cheering and encouraging and we are therefore shocked that anybody who lays claim to democracy or desire to lead the people would find the decision to let the people decide as a threat or discomforting.”
Full text of the stakeholders letter below:
MODE OF PRIMARIES: EXPRESSION OF SUPPORT FOR THE PARTY’S DECISION ON DIRECT PRIMARIES
On behalf of our teeming supporters and, indeed, all progressive members of our great party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa State, we write to express vote of confidence on the national leadership of the party and convey our resounding commendation for the decision of the party in respect of the conduct of primaries at all levels.
As stakeholders/aspirants, we found the decision of the party to go the way of direct primaries as not only progressive but also inclusive and revolutionary. The decision is also in tandem with the principles and ideals of our dear leader His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, to always carry the people along and make all Nigerians, nay party members relevant and be given a voice in decision-making process.
As individuals who want to pursue our respective ambitions under this great party, we feel elated by this wise decision. As democrats, we found the decision cheering and encouraging and we are therefore shocked that anybody who lays claim to democracy or desire to lead the people would find the decision to let the people decide as a threat or discomforting.
The merits of direct primaries are too many to recount here but as progressive members of the APC, we vote to support direct primaries for these reasons, among others:
1. INCLUSIVENESS: Direct Primary is an inclusive way of deciding who flies the party flag with all bona fide members of the party having a chance to make their choice. It gives meaning to membership of the party as followers are included in taking vital decision like who represent their party in the general elections.
2. DEMOCRACTIC:Democracy differs from feudalism. It is by popular definition a means of governance by the people and for the people. Making contests open and transparent, with everybody having a say, as in direct primaries, is a true expression of democratic values which the APC strives to uphold.
3. RANCOUR-FREE: Because direct primaries happen at different places at the same time, it enables peace and tranquillity, as well as orderly conduct by all involved in the process.
4. MINIMAL/NO CORRUPTION: The indirect primaries (delegate system) is long discredited for wanton use of money and sheer correction.
5. CHOSEN BY MR PRESIDENT: To cap it all, in his wisdom and culture of ethics and uprightness, President Muhammadu Buhari chose to have the presidential primaries in direct form, and wonder why anyone else, with even smaller constituency, would oppose the popular choice of the people and that of our dear president.
We the undersigned stakeholders/aspirants from Adamawa therefore reiterate our unwavering support for direct primaries and want the party to ensure that it is conducted to the latter, as a mark of assurance for open and fair contest and in order to elect popular candidates who can stand the test of general elections.
As you are aware, Your Excellency, fielding weak or unpopular candidates through manipulative primaries is a sure way of losing elections, a misfortune we don’t pray for.
We once again assure you of our total support and loyalty to the leadership of the party and pray that God almighty strengthen you to deliver on your mandate in fairness and justice to all.
Accept our sincere assurances, please.