Home Uncategorized Aftermath Of EndSARS Protests: Lagos West Residents Urge Govt To Dislodge...

Aftermath Of EndSARS Protests: Lagos West Residents Urge Govt To Dislodge Miscreants In Agege, Fagba Railway Lines

0

 

 

Residents of Lagos West Senatorial District have called on the Lagos State Government to dislodge miscreants in Agege, Fagba and other parts of the state to avoid a repeat of the aftermath of the #EndSARS Protests in the state.

The residents made the call on Friday at the Assembly Complex on the last day of the 3-day public hearing organised by the Lagos State House Of Assembly Adhoc Committee On Aftermath of the EndSARS Protests.

They stated that the violence that led to the loss of lives and properties could have been avoided.

One of the residents, Mrs. Bisi Mohammed, who stays in Fagba said that her house got burnt in the inferno and that she did not have anything to show as evidence, which was why she could not present her cases properly in the form provided by the assembly.

Also speaking, the Iyaloja of Daddy Savage Market, Fagba, Mrs.Toyin Oladoyinbo said that she would like the government to help the traders as some of them lost their voters cards in the inferno.

Oladoyinbo requested that the government should remove the shanties around Fagba Area, and that someone was killed around the area by hoodlums the previous day.

Another resident of Fagba, Mr Oluwamayowa Ilori, said that they were seriously affected by the violence and that this was due to overpopulation of miscreants in the area.

Ilori stressed that it was difficult for people to go out early or go back home late in the area without being attacked.

This was corroborated by the Babaloja of Olaitan Market in Fagba, Mr. Ojo Ademuyiwa, who said that there are several hoodlums along the railway line in Fagba and that they used the opportunity to loot the shops in the area and set them on fire.

A resident of Agbado Oke-Odo LCDA, Mr. Junaid , said that the hotel was vandalised and that they took the properties of the hotel, and burnt their cars.

He said that the management of the hotel went to Agbado Oke Odo Local Government secretariat to complain but that nothing was done about the matter.

Alhaja Awulat Halidu, resident of Agege, said her shops were built , calling on government  to rapidly come to her aid.

Halidu stressed that people were yet to recover from COVID 19 lockdown before the violence that erupted from the EndSARS  protests, saying that she lost almost N2.9m worth goods and properties.

She added ” My shops built to harshes without trace. All my goods and properties worth N2.9m got built. I had already registered online for this program and I was very happy when I got a text message to appear for compilation of forms. Although, some government officials  had visited the built shop to assess it few weeks ago”.

A resident of Ikotun/Idimu LCDA, Mr Tola Lawal, said the incident affected them much in Idimu Road more than other places.

Lawal suggested that the forms should be given to the actual people that were effected, and that the incidents happened close to the police stations and local government secretariat.

Another resident of the senatorial district, Mrs. Christiana Obasi Nwachukwu, said that her husband’s two shops were looted, which she said led to his death.

“He was shocked, when he got to the shops and he died at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital. Now I don’t have the documents the government wanted me to bring and I have five children to cater for,” he said.

Alhaja Olabisi Amisu, a resident of Agege area also said that her shop was burnt.

She said she sells clothes, jewelry and that her cabinet got burnt, adding that the items were worth about N2.9 Million.

“We want the state government to help us because we don’t have anything. Someone came from the executive and someone came from an agency to inspect the burnt shops,” she said.

Earlier in his speech, the Chairman of the House Committee that organised the hearing, and the Deputy Speaker of the House, Hon.Wasiu Eshinlokun-Sanni recalled that the House addressed the protesters when the protest started and that they passed far reaching resolutions.

Eshinlokun-Sanni stated that the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila passed resolutions and acknowledged protest as one of the features of democracy.

“Governor Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu of the state spoke about the issue and went to the president to present the demands of the protesters and they were accepted.

“SARS was disbanded and the government started the process of police reforms. But hoodlums hijacked the protest and started looting, maiming and started burning assets,” he said.

Eshinlokun-Sanni felt said that the lawmakers felt that they could not leave the people to face the losses alone, which he said was why they sent out forms and that they expected the people to let them know about their losses.

“If you did insurance cover, LASACO is here to assist you. We will do our best to ensure that you are well compensated.

“We will also make budgetary allocations for money to be paid. We will do our best and assist you in our own way.
We want to perform our duty and identify with you about the incident.
“It is the duty of the government to intervene in such situations. You will soon hear from us about the money we want to give you,” he said.

Eshinlokun-Sanni added that the next thing is compilation and verification of claims, and that their intention was to make sure that compensation are paid to all the affected persons.

While assuring them that they would attend to all genuine residents, he said that the compensation come as early as possible.

A management staff of LASACO Assurance Plc, Mr. Oluyemi Samson urged the residents that have lost their documents of identification, to get affidavits for loss of identification documents.

Recall on Thursday (yesterday) some victims of the carnage of the Aftermath of EndSARS protests seek better compensation from the state government, saying that they would appreciate if the government could give them substantial amount of fund which could help their businesses bounce back.

One of the victims from Kosofe local government, a fairly used cloth seller, Chikordi Joseph, explained that hoodlums carted away his goods and built down his shop, applauding the House for coming up with the initiative to help them.

Joseph added that he was caught unaware by the violence, saying that he was optimistic that the financial succour from the government would help to resuscitate his business.

He, however, seek better compensation from the government, saying ” If government can give me N800,000, my business will be back to life”.

Mrs Folashade Etuk who is the Company Secretary of HS Filling Station in Agboyi Ketu, said the company was completely built down by the hoodlums, stressing that the management had consulted a quantity survey to cost the level of destruction.

Etuk said she was impressed with the compilation process so far, saying that since the company had submitted its claims, government officials had visited the premises twice to see the level of destruction.

” Government has shown a lot of concern and care. It was when the officials visited us that we got to know what is happening here in the Assembly. I am hoping that the process will go on smoothly and at the end of the day we will be able to start our business back”, said Etuk.

She disclosed that the company was in the process of getting insured before the Covid-19 lockdown, saying that the destruction had taught them a lesson.

Etuk stated ” Our Investment is over N10m because we have at least two pumps. We lost a lot. Our products were siphoned and sold by the hoodlums. Our trailers on sight were built, it was a catastrophic loss to us”.

nigeria_news_access_bank_online

Like and Share this:

ADD YOUR COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here