Home News Akure: Xmas Day Tragedy as Fire Consumes Doctor Inside Clinic

Akure: Xmas Day Tragedy as Fire Consumes Doctor Inside Clinic


By Temitope Adedeji in Akure

Tears rolled freely on Christmas Day  as  residents of Oke Ibukun Street, off Araromi, in Akure, Ondo State capital, woke up to a raging fire which consumed  a popular clinic, Universal Medical Clinic, and its owner, Dr. David Oguntuase.

WESTERN POST authoritatively gathered that the fire began around 12.30 am on Thursday when neighbours and every other person were fast asleep. No one could immediately ascertain the cause of the inferno.

Sympathisers could not hold back their tears as they watched the remains of the victim, in the midst of the rubble of the building, already burnt beyond recognition.

It was learnt that the late doctor worked as a pediatrician at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Owo while he also maintained a private clinic in Akure.

Some residents were said to have made efforts to halt the fire from consuming the building completely but their moves to get firemen to the scene failed, as none of the fire officers came to the scene in spite of repeated calls made to them.

A resident who gave his name as Ajayi Olorunlogbon said, “The incident occurred around midnight and I just heard people shouting ‘fire, fire.’ I quickly called other residents in the street for the rescue.

“We mobilized and looked for water to pour on the building to salvage the tragedy but all our efforts proved abortive as the gate leading to the clinic was already locked and we had to break it to have our way inside the building to prevent the fire from touching other houses in the street.

“We immediately called the state fire fighters but they told us there was no vehicle.”

One of the nurses who saw the late Dr. Oguntuase late on Wednesday after the day’s duty told WESTERN POST that she was devastated at the incident. She described the late doctor as very lively.

She said, “We can’t state what exactly caused the tragic incident because all of us (nurses) had gone home when it occurred. All we can say is that the doctor came into the hospital on Wednesday and cracked jokes with us about the celebration of Christmas and later told us to go home for a happy celebration leaving only him behind.

“Before we all left, he instructed us to lock all the windows and doors, which we did and later left only him behind while we all left. We were even happy that the doctor released us. We never knew this will happen. It is very sad.”

She added that the hospital had discharged all the patients because of the Christmas holiday, but the doctor stayed behind while they left. Another resident of the street, Temitope Adelani, said no one knew the doctor was inside the building when the fire was raging because his vehicle was not there.

“Throughout the process of breaking the padlock to enter into the clinic, we never knew the doctor was inside the building because he did not park his vehicle outside. It was when we were making  efforts to quench the fire from entering other compounds that we realized the doctor had died in the fire.”

He said during the rescue effort, a gas cylinder in the clinic also exploded, adding that there was no public power supply and no generator was on at the time of the fire.

Officers of the Fire Service in the state could not be reached, but Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Wole Ogodo, confirmed the incident. He said the state police command had begun investigation into the cause of the fire.

He said: “The doctor was consumed in the inferno in his clinic and we have commenced our investigation while his corpse has been taken to the morgue for autopsy”.

Ogodo added that the wife of the late doctor, Wuraola, came to report the incident at the A-Division Police Station in Akure.


Like and Share this:


  1. Dr David Adetayo Oguntuase was killed and burnt in his private clinic on Xmas day 25th December 2014. He was the Consultant Pediatrician/Head of Pediatrics, paediatrician at Federal medical centre Owo, Ondo State. His death is related to the ongoing EFCC fraud investigation of the chief medical director, Dr. O. A. Omotosho. He is accused of embezzling 100 million naira meant for staff training and medical equipment.
    Dr Oguntauase was acting as CMD prior to appointment of Omotosho. Most people thought Dr Oguntause will be appointed but we all know how Nigerian system of God fatherism works. Dr Omotosho was appointed directly from Abuja with the help of Owo ruling Monarch King DVF Olateru-Olagbegi.
    Dr Oguntause problems started when the federal budget allocated for staff training, purchase of CT scans and other medical equipment went missing and EFCC was alerted. The EFCC team came to arrest Dr Omotosho but he escaped through the morgue section of the hospital and jumped over the fence. The administrative manager, Mr Lagundoye and public Relations Officer [PRO], Mr. Yusuf Olarewaju with the rest of the senior management team were not so happy with Dr Oguntause because they believe he was the only senior member of the team that was not in support of their embezzlement depriving the hospital and reduction of salaries paid to junior staffs.
    They knew he will spill the beans TO EFCC. On December 15, Lagos State High Court judge Lawal-Akapo issued a bench warrant against the doctor.He ordered the EFCC to produce him on January 26, 2015 to come and take his plea. Dr Omotosho was arrested three days before xmas day. Dr Oguntause was going to take over as acting while Dr Omotosho is suspended from office.
    On xmas day 25th Dec 2014,Dr Oguntuase was killed and burnt beyond recongnition in his clinic at Akure .

    May his soul rest in perfect peace.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here