By Yetunde Oladejo, Osogbo
The battle to the throne of Salu of Edun-Abon in Ife North West Local Council Development Area of Osun State took a new dimension on Wednesday when the palace was set on fire by some irate youths of the town in protest against the prince selected by the state government.
The throne had been vacant since the immediate past Salu, Oba Elijah Omoloye Oyelade, Agunbiade I, joined his ancestors on August 4, 2017.
The kingmakers had announced the emergence Prince Kehinde Oladepo, who hails from Amoloye Compound in Isiboni ruling house as the new Salu of Edunabon after rigorous meetings, which included the warrant chiefs and executives of Ife North West Local Council Development Area.
The two warrant chiefs assigned by the state government unanimously voted for him, defeating six other contestants to the stool.
According to one of the warrant chiefs, Seye Oyelade from Ile Akunran in Edunabon, said the process that led to the emergence of oba-elect was transparent and fair.
With this development, Oladepo proceeded into seclusion (a ritual process before enthronement) some weeks ago.
It was however gathered that when Oladepo had spent a week in the seclusion, another prince, Nasiru Adebayo, who is from the same royal family of Oladepo also entered into seclusion.
Adebayo, it was further learnt acted on the directives of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, who gave him a “consenting authority ” after the decision of the town’s lawmakers for Oladepo to proceed into seclusion was faulted for not following due process.
According to a source, Ooni faulted the selection process in a letter dated back to November 22 on the ground that the kingmakers failed to carry him along in the selection of Prince Kehinde Oladepo in accordance with Customary Law.
But the youths who were said to have opposed the selection of Oladepo as the new Salu of Edun-Abon went on rampage on Wednesday and set the palace on ablaze when they learnt that he has finished the seclusion rite.