Agene Akhere, Benin
A 15-year-old boy, identified as Alfred Omonife, was yesterday confirmed dead after he suffered severe burns following a kerosene explosion.
The explosion occurred at No 23 Okpebho Lane off Aghedo Street, Textile Mill road in Egor Local Government Area of Edo State.
Alfred was confirmed dead at the Benin Central hospital where he and two others victims were rushed to.
Other victims are 31-year-old Loveth Odeh and her five-year-old son, Wisdom.
Wisdom was burnt from his waist down while his mother had burns all over her body.
Loveth, who managed to speak to newsmen, said she was pouring kerosene into a lantern at about 2am when it exploded and fire gutted the entire room.
She said the kerosene was bought from a neighbouring house and urged state government to investigate as well as arrest anybody found selling adulterated kerosene.
Her husband, Sunday, said the fire burnt the property he had in their one room apartment.
He said he was at work when the incident occurred and begged public spirited individuals to assist him financially.
Sunday said the late Alfred was his nephew.