By Okunade Adekunle
The Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures in Nigeria has elected a new Chairman and executive members following the constitutional end of the tenure of Rt (Hon) Mudashiru Obasa, whose executive committee was elected at a meeting of the conference held on August 2018 in Lagos.
The Speakers elected the Speaker of the Bauchi State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abubakar Suleiman, as the new chairman of the Conference and also elected nine executive members.
The constitution of the conference stipulates a two-year term of office for its elected leadership which rotates between the north and the southern part of Nigeria.
At a meeting held at Reiz Continental Hotel in Abuja late Thursday, Obasa, who in 2018, took over from the Speaker of the Kebbi State House of Assembly, Ismail Kamba, formally handed over to Suleiman, who is now saddled with leading the conference for the next two years.
Other members of the committee include:
- Deputy Chairman (Speaker Delta), Rt Hon Sheriff Oborevwori
- Treasurer (Speaker Kogi) Rt Hon Matthew Kolawole
- Financial Secretary (Speaker Enugu) Rt Hon Edward Ubosi
- Vice-Chair, North West (Speaker Katsina) Rt Hon Tasiu Musa Maigari
- Vice Chair, North East (Speaker Gombe) Rt Hon Sadiq Ibrahim Abubakar
- Vice-Chair, North Central (Speaker Plateau) Rt Hon Abok Nuhu Ayuba
- Vice-Chair, South West (Speaker Ogun) Rt Hon Olakunle Oluomo
- Vice-Chair, South East (Speaker Ebonyi) Rt Hon Nwifuru Francis
- Vice Chair, South South (Speaker Akwa Ibom) Rt Hon Aniekan Bassey
According to political analysts, Obasa led what has acclaimed the most vibrant tenure of the conference having inputs in matters of national interest.
His tenure also saw a push for financial autonomy for state legislatures and judiciary as well as cooperation with the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to achieve this.
Recall that President Buhari, on May 22, 2020, signed Executive Order 10 for the implementation of the financial autonomy after a committee report concerning the issue was handed over to him.
However, Sulaiman’s tenure is expected to end by August 2022.