By Mosunmola Ayobami, Kwara
An IIorin High Court, presided by Justice Ibrahim Yusuf, on Tuesday refused the bail application of eight accused persons, alleged to have raped and murdered a 24-year-old University of Ilorin student, Olajide Blessing Omowumi.
The arraignment of the accused persons could not commence last week Wednesday because of the inability of three of the suspects to produce legal representation.
The suspects are; Abdulazeez Ismail, Ajala Moses Oluwatimileyin (aka Jacklord), Oyeyemi Timileyin Omogbolahan, Abdulkarim Shuaib (aka Easy), Kareem Oshioyemi Rasheed (Rashworld), Abdullateef Abdulrahman, Daud Bashir Adebayo (aka Bashman) and Akande Taiye Oladoja.
It would be recalled that the Kwara State Police Command had confirmed the suspected rape and murder of the 300-level student in her residence located at Tanke area of the Ilorin metropolis on June 2, 2021.
The deceased said to be staying with her elder sister until her death was a student of Agricultural Science Department and hailed from Oke-Opin community in Ekiti Local Government Area of the state.
The defendants were brought before the court by the state government on 11-count charges bordering on armed robbery, illegal possession of firearms and rape.
Three of the defendants, Abdulazeez Ismail, Ajala Moses Oluwatimileyin and Oyeyemi Timileyin Omogbolahan, were said to have conspired among themselves, “to rob one Olajide Gloria Blessing Omowumi also known as ‘Wumi’ (now deceased) of her Samsung Galaxy A2 Core handset and carted away other items, including one black Acer aspire, one series laptop, one Samsung drive, one pink wireless mouse, one white handheld mini sewing machine, one infinix charger and one gold colour wintouch tab while armed with offensive weapon including a black wooden pistol gun.”
The prosecution also accused five others of aiding and abetting the receipt of stolen items which include Samsung Galaxy A2 Core handset and some other computer gadgets being proceeds of armed robbery.
The state also accused Abdulazeez Ismail, Kareem Oshioyemi Rasheed and Abdulkarim Shuaib of stealing N116,000 from the GTB account of the deceased.
The eight accused persons pleaded not guilty to every count as it relates to each of them.
Thereafter, the prosecution counsel, who is also the Attorney General and Commisioner for Justice, Salman Jawondo, filed an application to call additional three witnesses, which was granted by the court.
The seventh accused, who was charged with aiding and abetting and receiving stolen property, also filed an application for bail, which was heard and dismissed.
In dismissing the bail application, the presiding judge said counsel to the defendants did not give satisfactory condition for acceding to his request.
“Generally, bail is at the discretion of the court but in this circumstance, the counsel failed to give satisfactory reasons to grant his request. I am not inclined to grant the request as the case in question borders on capital offence ” he said.
The case has been adjourned to Wednesday for hearing.
According to the court, hearing will be day to day, starting from tomorrow (Wednesday).