The Lagos State Government has denounced the purported restriction of movement announced in Itire on Sunday night as part of traditional rites over the demise of Onitire of Itire, Oba Lateef Abayomi Akanbi Dauda.
The government described it as act of illegality.
According to a statement issued on Monday by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Tunji Bello, the State Government condemned the action of declaring a curfew without due consultation with the government before making such public.
He said no individual or group has the right to infringe on the rights of citizens to freedom of movement and association as enshrined in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Bello noted that the state government is alive to its core responsibilities of protecting the citizens and is collaborating with security agencies to put in place measures that will guarantee safety of lives and property of its citizens in every part of the state.
“While the state government commiserates with the royal family, Onitire Chieftaincy Family Council and the entire people of Itire over the demise of the monarch and highly respect our tradition and customs, it would not condone any act that tends to infringe on the right of its citizens, which it has sworn to protect.
“The Lagos State Government is saddened by the demise of our ever-supportive Oba, but wishes to assure the people that government will not fold its arms and allow a few individual or group of people to deny citizens of their right to movement or commune anywhere around the state,” the statement said.
He added that the state government was collaborating with security agencies and assured that arrangements had been made to guide against any molestation and harassment by anybody or group.
Lagos residents are assured of their safety and are advised to go about their normal duties without harassment and molestation.