By AKHERE Agene,Benin
The Edo Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Clem Agba, said contrary to insinuation that the N30billion storm water project in the state had been abandoned, the government was committed to completing the project.
He said work on four, out of the 23 catchment areas of the storm water project was progressing steadily, noting that there were no challenges of fund as regards the project execution.
Agba made this clarifications when he took journalists round the project on Tuesday.
The commissioner said work had been completed on the first phase of catchment one up to Upper Mission and that work had already started on the second phase of the catchment.
He said the area where the bulk of work is now is the last two catchments which are Uwelu West and Uwelu East.
He said the planned implementation of the 23 catchment areas is one that would take 25 years or more to implement depending on fund and weather.
“As we speak we are working on four of the catchment areas and work on it has not stopped on these four catchment areas that is costing us N30b.
“The problem is that people want to see a project happening in the city centre where they drive pass every day. When they see that, they say, oh! Work is going on.
“But in the areas where we are working now, is not where a lot of people traverse every day except for the five junction area where the moat is been extended.
“Work is going on in the stilling basin by the Ogba River, Igbenoduwa underground covert has gone very far. It is getting now close to upper Siloko raod.
“The Siloko road itself, the asphalting has started. The drains towards the channels five construction are on and the concrete work is going on.
“I do not really see where work has stopped with regard to the storm water project, except people do not understand.
“If it is excavation work on the power line, it is completed, so you are not going to see any excavation taking place,” he said.