By Adeola Oladele, Ibadan
Tragedy struck in Ibadan on Thursday as a 125-
room estate was razed where property worth
millions of naira were destroyed in a fire
incident that occurred at the NNPC, Apata area
of the state.
Victims and residents of the house were seen
packing the little they could salvage from their
property, while others were running for their
WESTERN POST gathered that the unfortunate
incident emanated from a kerosene stove used
by a lady said to be cooking early in the
morning apparently to prepare food before
setting out for the day.
Some of the residents, said the house which is
usually crowded with people has about 125
rooms and was a disaster
expected to happen because it has no kitchen
for the about 500 tenants to cook.
In an interview, the principal Fire
Superintendent with the state Fire Service, Mr.
Isiaka Adeleke and the caretaker Chairman of
Ido Local Government area, Prof. Adeniyi
Olowofela, warned residents to
be careful with the way they handle fire.
He promised government’s assistance to victims
of the fire incident.