By Deborah Oladejo, Osogbo
An 80-year-old retiree in Osun State simply identified as Mrs Olotu was on Thursday thrown into mourning when an early morning inferno gutted a storey building she built.
The fire incident which occured at Peter Ajibola street, Alekunwodo area of Osogbo in Osun State Capital was said to have been as a result of an upsurge after electricity was restored to the area around 11:45am.
Although, no life was lost but properties were lost to the inferno. Residents of the area and symphatisers rallied round the old woman to console her.
It took the quick intervention of fire fighters that prevented the fire from affecting other houses in the surrounding.
An eyewitness, Mrs Omolabake Samuel said “ few minutes after IBEDC restored electricity, we saw one small boy Dada who ran out from the building coughing and we saw smoke coming out of the roof as a result of the fire outbreak.
Residents of the area commended the fire service officials for their proactive ness in preventing the fire from escalating.
“Men of the Osun State Fire Service really tried for us. If not for their immediate intervention, things would have gone out of hand.”
Speaking, the Public Relation Officer, Osun State Fire Service, Mrs Adijat Basiri urged the residents in the state to ensure they switch off all electrical appliances before leaving their houses to prevent loss of lives and properties.
“The occupant of the apartment left home without switching off all their electrical gadgets.
“When power was restored, there was an electrical shock which resulted in the fire”, Basiri said.
The Osun State Commissioner for Regional Integration and Special Duties, Hon Olalekan Badmus who visited the scene of the fire sympathized with the victim.
He called for calm just as he appealed to residents of the state to be wary of practices that may infuriate disasters such as fire.