Sokoto State Commissioner for Health, Dr Ali Inname on Tuesday confirmed the death of 24 family members after eating some poisonous food.
The commissioner said in a statement that the incident occurred on Monday in Danzanke village, Bargaja ward, Isa Local Government Area of the State.
He explained that the incident was caused by the use of a fertiliser type of chemical, popularly called ” Gishirin Lalle in Hausa” as seasoning in domestic family cooking which was considered as common salt.
”Regrettably, the entire family who ate the meal lost their lives, except two female members, who merely tasted the food and are currently responding to treatment, with very good chances of survival.
”Attempts to save the lives of all the affected people by providing the needed medical care proved abortive,” Inname said.
The commissioner urged the public to learn from the incidence and keep away such poisonous chemicals from easy reach.
He further appealed to people to always be cautious to prevent reoccurrence in their families.