Home Life Girl, 10, Raped to Death in Ogun

Girl, 10, Raped to Death in Ogun


By Sunday Olayinka

If Miss Sofiatu Akilolu was allowed to live her dream, perhaps she could have grown to be one of the celebrated surgeons in Nigeria. Her wish was to study medicine in any of the prestigious universities in the country.

Her academic prowess was a testimony to this. According to her father, Mr. Jimoh Akilolu, she was always taking the first position since she started schooling and had won laurels for herself and for her school. Her desire to always excel in school was a motivation for her parents to quickly meet her request at all time.

But alas! The life of Sofiatu was cut short by one Ishau Olatunji Arowolo, 25, who dis-virgined and raped her to dead as she was sent to the stream to fetch water for her parents. The incident happened on March 30, 2015 around 5:30 pm in Orisada-Eyo in Yewa South Local Government, Ogun State.

Until her death, the 10-year-old-Sofiatu was a primary five pupil of Agude Yewa Local Government Authority Primary School, Orisada-Eyo, Yewa South Local Government Area of the state.

Sofiatu’s Ordeal

Narrating the late Sofiatu’s ordeal to WESTERN POST, Miss Abibatu Jubril, who accompanied her to the stream, explained how the culprit perpetrated the evil.

According to Abibatu, “on our way to the stream of Agude, we saw brother Ishau in a bush along the river, and we greeted him. Later we observed that he was coming behind us and suddenly he carried Sofiatu into the bush. I started shouting and I ran back to alert the community. Before people got to the river, he had carried her into the river where he raped and strangled her neck until she died’’.

Father’s Shock

The father of the deceased, Mr. Akilolu told WP his shock when the news filtered to him.  “I’m a commercial driver. A pair of school shoes that Sofiatu asked me to buy for her were at the back of my bus when they told me about the incident. It was quite unbelievable because she was so precious to me for her brilliance and humility both at home and outside. She was the first child from my second marriage and Sofiatu had been playing very good roles between her siblings to the extent that you hardly differentiate her from step –children,” Akilolu said.

The Baale of Orisada-Eyo, Chief Adeogun Kehinde Hussien, narrated the efforts made by the community to arrest the culprit Arowolo and bring him to book. According to him, ‘’when the alert was raised in the community that Arowolo had kidnapped Sofiatu, everybody in the community swung into action to comb the forest around Agude River but they only found their clothes beside the river.

“Suddenly, Arowolo raised up his head from the water, that made people to believe that Sofiatu too might be inside the water and people began their search inside the water.  It took another one hour to discover Sofiatu’s corpse inside the water. When her corpse was detected, blood was gushing out from her virgina, indicating that she had been raped by Arowolo”.

When she was rushed to nearby government hospital for treatment, Sofiatu was confirmed dead.

WP learnt that after the girl’s demise, irate youths in the area attempted to lynch Ishau to death, but was saved by the prompt arrival of the Baale, Chief Kehinde, who pleaded with them not to take laws into their hands.

The Baale confirmed to WP that, ‘’On the day the little girl was raped,  the suspected rapist was beaten up to near pulp by the youths but after his intervention, Sofiatu’s remains and Ishau were taken to Oke Odan Police post where the case was immediately transferred to Owode Divisional Police Station.

The Baale added that the police at Owode/Yewa ordered the community to contribute money for the treatment of Ishau because of the way he was beaten by the irate youths.

He further explained that both the corpse of the girl and Ishau were taken to Ilaro General Hospital. But Sofiatu’s corpse was released on the second day and was burred according to Islamic rites.

The Baale said he was shocked because such incident had never happened in the history of the community.

He, therefore, warned people in the community to desist from any nefarious act that can damage the reputation of the community.

He said people should also desist from taking laws into their hands, but allow government to deal with any offender according to the laws of the land.

Chief Adeogun urged the state government to immortalise Sofiatu by instituting a foundation in her name.

Meanwhile, the police authorities have assured the people that when the alleged rapist  recovers, he will be charged to court.

Investigations by WP revealed that the police in Ogun State have already commenced investigations into the matter.

Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mr. Muyiwa Adejobi, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone, expressed shock at the development.

Adejobi said Ishau is in police custody waiting to be arraigned in court.

“It is appalling that a mature man could indulge in such an act. The matter is under investigation and the alleged rapist will be brought to book.”

2 Security Personnel Kill Themselves over Girlfriend at Lagos Niteclub

A brawl between one Jimoh, a Corporal in the Nigeria Army, and Sheu Ibrahim, a Naval Officer at a night club in Apapa Area of Lagos State has led to their death.

WESTERN POST gathered that Jimoh had gone to the club with his girlfriend who was wearing an army uniform, but was stopped by security guard at the club who wanted to know whether she was a soldier.

This did not go down well with Jimoh who protested the effrontery.

In the process, Ibrahim, who was also at the club with his girlfriend, intervened.

After listening to the guards, Ibrahim was said to have pointedly told Jimoh that his girl was not authorized to wear military uniform being a civilian.

The fracas, however, began when Ibrahim allegedly slapped the soldier’s girlfriend for disrespecting him, an action that infuriated Jimoh who was said to have stabbed the naval officer with a jackknife, killing him on the spot.

On learning of what had happened, other colleagues of late Ibrahim quickly rushed to the scene. They pounced on Jimoh, beating him to coma.

He later died as a result of the beating.

An eyewitness was said to have made a distress call to the police who arrived in time to prevent further mayhem.

Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Lagos State Police Command, Kenneth Nwosu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) while confirming the incident, said the police made arrests at the scene.

He said: “The incident happened and two people died. We received a distress call from someone at the scene that there was confusion at the club, and we rushed to the scene, we were able to bring the situation under control and prevent further loss of lives.

“It was unfortunate that by the time we got there, the two officers had died.  But the Police arrested two military officers in connection with the incident,” he said.


Like and Share this:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here