Home News More than 45 killed in fresh Boko Haram attack

More than 45 killed in fresh Boko Haram attack


Dozens of people have been killed in an attack by suspected Boko Haram militants in Borno State, officials and witnesses say.

Gunmen rampaged through the village of Azaya Kura in the Mafa area, killing at least 45 people.

Shettima Lawan, caretaker chairman of the local government, called it “wicked and despicable”, AFP reports.

Boko Haram has taken control of a series of towns and villages in north-eastern Nigeria in recent weeks.

Authorities have struggled to defeat the militant Islamist group, which has been waging an insurgency in Nigeria since 2009.

New York-based Human Rights Watch says Boko Haram has killed more than 2,000 civilians already this year.


Muhammed Gava, the leader of a vigilante fighter group, told the Associated Press that heavily armed Boko Haram militants surged through Azaya Kura in several vehicles on Wednesday.

“We counted 45 bodies at the end of the attack,” village chief Mallam Bulama told AFP.

But others may have died after they fled into the bush, residents said.

The village is about 40km (25 miles) from Maiduguri, capital of Borno state.

In May 2013, President Goodluck Jonathan imposed a state of emergency in the northern states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, vowing to crush the Islamist insurgency.

But Boko Haram, which translates as “Western education is forbidden”, has stepped up attacks against civilian targets ever since the Nigerian military offensive began last year.

It frequently attacks schools and colleges, which it sees as a symbol of Western culture, and was behind the kidnapping of over 200 schoolgirls from Chibok in Borno state.

Mafa and the surrounding area has been repeatedly attacked by militants.

About 30 boys and girls were taken during a raid in October, despite government claims of a truce. At least 17 people were also killed in the assault.

Some 29 people were also killed in an attack on Mafa town in March.

Meanwhile, Nigeria’s parliament was closed on Thursday, after the police fired teargas inside the building.

Correspondents said the police were trying to stop the speaker of the lower house, Aminu Tambuwani, from entering the chamber, following his defection to the opposition last month.

Lawmakers were due to discuss whether to extend the state of emergency in the northeast.


Like and Share this:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here