Murder in Iyin-Ekiti:What We Need Now is Help – Daughter of Father of 7 Hacked to Death over GSM Handset

    0

    Iyin-Ekiti, a sleepy community in Ekiti State, was on Friday, March 20 thrown into confusion as a 25-year-old resident of the town, Wale Ede, allegedly beheaded a 50-year-old man, Mr. Joshua Olaseinde Fagbola, a father of seven.  The deceased was, until his death, a Patrol Assistant with the Directorate of Road Traffic Service in Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital. The incident occurred around 8pm in Iro Quarters, Iyin-Ekiti. The suspect is currently being held at the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Ekiti State Police Command Headquarters, Ado-Ekiti for pending the conclusion of investigations into the matter by the police.

    How Wale Ede allegedly hacked Fagbola to death…

    Investigations by WESTERN POST showed that Ede attacked Fagbola at about 8pm in the evening of Friday, March 20, when the deceased was about to start his motorbike and leave the venue of the wake-keep for one of his relatives. Residents who witnessed the incident reliably informed WP that Ede suddenly brought out a cutlass from the umbrella he was holding and surprisingly cut down Fagbola, first from his neck and then his face, and other parts of his body. The victim was drenched in his blood. He later died in a hospital where he was rushed to in the area, in the presence of his wife.

    “Immediately he committed the crime, he ran away to his place at 6 Baba Moni Street, Iro Quarters in Iyin-Ekiti. He took along his mother and bolted away from the community. But the police later found him and have since detained him since,” a resident who claimed to have witnessed the crime told WP.

    When WP Correspondent visited the house where the late Fagbola was living with his family of eight, a wife and seven children, relatives, friends and sympathisers were seen mourning and discussing the dastardly incident.

    Mrs. Aina Fagbola:  My husband was a peaceful man

    The wife of the deceased, Mrs. Aina Fagbola, 43, who had a baby strapped to her back, was grieving as she recalled the tragic incident. Amid tears, she said of her husband’s horrifying murder: “It was about 8pm last Friday that people came to our house, crying. They told me that my husband had been attacked. I rushed to the place where we had just held the wake keep for his late relative. There, they told me that my husband had been rushed to the hospital. It was there that I met him. He was drenched in his blood. He took one look at me before finally giving up the ghost.

    “My husband was a very peaceful man; he never had any quarrel with anyone, and residents in this Iro Quarters can attest to this. This man that killed him had collected N500,000 from my husband since January this year. With the money, he was supposed to get the things he would use to make some blocks for the house we are building. But he refused to refund the money. I was told that my husband seized his cell phone on Thursday, March 19, in order to ensure that his money was refunded. That was why he attacked my husband on Friday and killed him and has now made me a sudden widow. Look at me; I’m already aging. My husband was just a junior government worker and we have seven children already. The baby I’m holding is just a few months old and he’s our last born. Our first just turned 19 and has gained admission into the Federal College of Education, Ila-Orangun in Osun State. Who will sponsor her now? Where will I get the money to feed our children? I have no work at all?”

    ‘All we need now is help’

    Also speaking, Fagbola’s first daughter, Modupe, 19, said she had just been admitted for a three-year course in English and Yoruba education at the Federal College of education, Ila-Orangun, Osun State. She said she was with her father a few days ago when he promised to pay her school fees.

    Her words: “My father was a very caring and reserved man. He had promised to pay my school fees the last time we spoke. Now that he’s suddenly gone, there is no one to help me. Our mum is not educated and she’s not even working. But if the government can employ me, I can struggle to take care of my siblings and still go to school. All we need now is help. Please, we need help. We are appealing to people out there to help us.”

    Residents said the suspect had been at the wake-keep for over an hour before he struck. “We had seen an umbrella with the suspect in which he hid the cutlass with which he struck Seinde. He had been sitting around at the event and some of us were asking him what he was looking for. He said he was just waiting, not knowing that he was planning how to unleash terror.

    “The deceased wanted to leave the place, so he went to a corner where he had parked his motorbike. He climbed the bike and was about starting its engine when Wale, who had been trailing him from behind, suddenly struck him on the back neck with the cutlass. He then began stabbing him on the neck and face and other parts of his body. After committing the crime, he ran from the scene and went to his mother’s place. He would have run away from this area if the police had not apprehended him,” a resident voluntered.

    Police PRO: We are investigating the matter

    Police Public Relations Officer in Ekiti State, Mr. Alberto Adeyemi, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), who confirmed the incident, said the suspect was being held at the CID, Ado-Ekiti. Adeyemi said: “It has been reported that Wale Ede allegedly beheaded Mr. Olaseinde Fagbola on March 20. The suspect is being held at the CID and we are still investigating the matter.”

    wema_bank_salary_based_loan

    Like and Share this:

    ADD YOUR COMMENT

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here