The Executive Secretary of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, NEITI, Waziri Onibiyo Adio, has publicly declared his personal assets and that of his wife and children.
In a statement on Wednesday, made available to THEWILL, followed by a series of tweets on his twitter handle, Adio revealed that he was publicising the assets in line with the dictates of the Fifth Schedule of the 1999 Constitution and Section 15 of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act.
Adio, who had served as a director of communications at NEITI from 2007 to 2008, was appointed Executive Secretary of NEITI by Buhari two months ago and explained that he was declaring his assets publicly because he found it necessary to live up to an ideal he had always preached.
In openly declaring his assets, the University of Lagos Mass Communication alumnus, revealed that he was following the footsteps of former President Umar Musa Yar’Adua; former Ekiti State governor, Kayode Fayemi; former Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission, Chidi Odinkalu and Shehu Sani, Senator representing Kaduna Central.
See the full assets:
Cash in Nigerian Banks:
• As at 30 March 2016, I had a total of N3, 810, 206 in Naira accounts with Access Bank, Standard Chartered Bank and United Bank for Africa.
• As at 30 March 2016, I had a total of $821 in domiciliary accounts in Access Bank and UBA.
• One unit of a 3-Bedrooom bungalow in an estate in a suburb of Abuja bought in 2011 at N17.5m, renovated and currently valued at N25m;
• Two units of 3-bedroom flats built over 13 years (between 2000 and 2013) in Lambe, Ogun State, currently valued at N12m.
• Two plots together measuring 1000 sqm demarcated by a dwarf fence in Iwo, my hometown in Osun State, bought in 2013, valued at N700, 000;
• Yet-to-be-located 600 sqm in a disputed estate in Sabon-Lugbe, Abuja bought in 2011 at N750, 000.
I have beneficial interests in the following private companies that I co-founded:
• Think Tank Consult Limited
• SW4 Media Limited, Publishers of Metropole Magazine
• Elan-Metro Foods Limited
• Cable Newspaper Limited, Publishers of TheCable online newspaper
I also have equity in two non-operational companies:
• Papyrus Media Limited
• Bamisoro Media Limited
• VW Passat bought new in 2011 at N5.8m
• BMW X5 2008 Model bought second hand in February 2016 at N3.3m
• 9 KVA Hyundai Diesel Generator bought at N850, 000
• 3 KVA Sunkam Inverter bought at N450, 000
• Other household furniture, electronics, exercise equipment, artworks and others valued at N3.5m
Shares in Publicly Quoted Companies:
I have shares in Skye Bank, Sterling Bank and Staco Insurance, bought in 2008 at N2.5m now presently valued at N296, 610.
Assets of Spouse and Children:
• My wife runs two businesses: a salon and a bakery, with equipment and distribution vehicles all valued at N28.5m.
• We have three children under 18 and they do not own any assets.