Home News Nigerian Jailed for Rape Before Facing Deportation

Nigerian Jailed for Rape Before Facing Deportation


A SEX attacker who raped a woman after her first night out clubbing in Scotland has been jailed for five years.

Mike Okah, a Nigerian who claimed he had come to Scotland on holiday, will be deported at the end of his sentence.

His victim, a 28-year-old Latvian woman who had been working at a local bakery until the attack at a flat in the Capital, told the court she had moved to England as a result of what happened.

Lady Wise said that the victim who sustained ripped clothing had exhibited “extreme distress” to a friend and professionals called to the scene.

Police who saw the woman after she was subjected to the sex attack by Okah said she appeared upset and having trouble walking.

The woman had been working at a bakery and staying in Bathgate, in West Lothian, when friends encouraged her to go clubbing in the Capital, but first they had called at a flat where Okah was staying in the city’s Telford Grove.

After they returned from the disco the plan was she and the others would stay over at the flat and the victim intended to sleep on a mattress in the living room fully clothed.

She said Okah, 26, came into the room and also got on the mattress and started to undress her.

“I said that I wanted to sleep. He started to pull up my dress. He tore my tights and my underwear.

“I pulled off his hands and said to him to stop it. I shouted on him to stop it and I tried to stand up but he didn’t allow me to,” she said.

The woman was later able to get away by saying she had to go to the toilet, before alerting a female friend in the flat to what had happened.

The woman told the court: “I felt terrible. It was very painful.” The victim sustained bruising in the assault and her injuries were noted by a doctor.

Okah told detectives that he had come over to Scotland for a holiday and was planning to take in the Commonwealth Games.

He had denied assault and attempts to rape the woman at the flat in Telford Grove on July 19 last year, but was found guilty by a jury.

He was placed on the sex offenders’ register.

Detective Chief Inspector Alwyn Bell said after the sentence: “I would like to acknowledge the courage of the victim throughout this investigation. This was a particularly violent incident and Okah refused to acknowledge his guilt, going to great lengths to cover up his crime.”

*Culled from newsen@edinburghnews.com


Like and Share this:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here