Micro-blogging site, Twitter, has reacted to the indefinite suspension of its operation by the Nigerian government.
The media giant described the suspension of its operations in Nigeria on Friday as “deeply concerning”.
Twitter’s Senior Policy Communications Manager for Europe, Middle East and Africa, Sarah Hart, stated this in an email response.
“The announcement made by the Nigerian Government that they have suspended Twitter’s operations in Nigeria is deeply concerning.
“We’re investigating and will provide updates when we know more,” Hart was quoted by TheCable as saying.
The ban followed the deletion of part of a post by President Muhammadu Buhari by Twitter on Tuesday.
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, had earlier said the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration suspended Twitter over the use of the platform for “activities which undermine the corporate existence of the country.”
The Minister said the Federal Government had also directed the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to immediately commence the process of licensing all OTT and social media operations in Nigeria,” Segun Adeyemi, the Special Assistant to the President (Media),
Office of the Minister of Information and Culture, had said in a release.