By Deborah Oladejo, Osogbo
Osun State Government has debunked insinuations that there was an ethnic clash between Yoruba and Hausa in Osogbo, the State capital on Saturday.
There were reports on social media that there was tension in Sabo area of Osogbo where some Yoruba and Hausa youths reportedly clashed in the early hours of the day.
The State Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Mrs. Funke Egbemode, who said the publication was a misinformation, which should be disregarded maintained that the State remains one of the most peaceful states in the country.
According to Egbemode, “There was no such thing as ethnic clash in Osogbo. The State of Osun remains one of the most peaceful states in the country.
“Yorubas and Hausas have been living peacefully as a family for a very long time in the state, and that has not changed. We remain one family, in the spirit of national unity.”
Speaking about the situation that birthed the misinformation, Egbemode explained that there was an uproar that followed some market touts trying to extort traders in the market, but the situation was immediately calmed by security operatives in the area.
“The government is and will continue to prioritize security in the State. So, everyone can go about his normal duties because there is nothing to fear.
“The people of the State have never been intolerant of other ethnic groups, and so, peddlers of misinformation should desist from misleading the public and creating non-existent tension-inducing scenarios,” she added.
Corroborating the Commissioner, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs. Yemisi Opalola said there was no clash between Yoruba and Hausa.
She said, “I didn’t confirm that there was clash between Yorubas and Hausas at all. I just confirmed that there was problem, and that policemen had been drafted to the place and police are on the top of the matter.