The Director General of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mike Omeri, has denied reports that President Goodluck Jonathan had planned to visit the Chibok community in Borno State, where over 200 schoolgirls of Government Girls’ Secondary School were abducted by the outlawed Boko Haram sect.
Reports both in the local and international media had been awash with plans by the President to visit the town a month after the abduction was carried out.
But according to VOANEWS online on Friday, Omeri described the reports that President Jonathan would visit Chibok Friday as “misinformation” being peddled both locally and internationally to create tension and panic among the population.
Omeri, who is the coordinator of National Information Centre, was quoted to have said: “I am not sure of the report and its sources. As coordinator of the National information Centre, I don’t have information; therefore I doubt its authenticity.
“Since this incident started, lots of misinformation has been going on both local and international. And Nigerians are out there who are not part of what is happening at home are feeling agitated and worried.
“We have so many of such stories even in some of our local newspapers that are not true.”
Omeri said such misinformation was the reason the Federal Government had to establish an information centre to enlighten Nigerians, both home and abroad, on what was really going on.