By Deborah Oladejo, Osogbo
Osun State Government has revealed the names and other identities of officers that allegedly chased a 17-year-old boy, Idris Ajibola, to death last year.
The names of the security officers in the Joint Task Force (JTF) vehicle that allegedly chased and killed the deceased was revealed by the Criminal Investigation Department of the Osun State Police Command for proper disciplinary actions in their respective Commands.
The officers are Ejigbo Audu (Nigeria Police Force); Benjamin Ogunsesan (Nigeria Police Force); Jekayinfa Olutosin (Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps); Raji Adewale (State Security Service) and Hammed Yusuf (Nigeria Air Force).
It would be recalled that the late Idris Ajibola alongside his friends were on 15th September, 2020 allegedly chased, leading to the subsequent death of the deceased by the team of security personnel.
The parents of the deceased had approached the Osun Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality Human Rights Violations and Related Extra Judicial Killings demanding for N5billion as compensation.
Presenting his final written address in the case at the resumed hearing on Thursday, the petitioners’ counsel, Barrister Kanmi Ajibola argued that the alleged unlawful act perpetrated by the subjects of the Respondent by chasing the boy to death, causing his parents an irreparable loss, was contrary to Paragraph 33 (1) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.
According to him, the said Paragraph of the Constitution provides that, “Every person has a right to life, and no one shall be deprived intentionally of his life, save in execution of the sentence of a court in respect of a criminal offence of which he has been found guilty in Nigeria.”
He submitted that his clients were entitled to compensation as enshrined in Section 35 (6) of the 1999 Constitution, which stipulates that, “Any person who is unlawfully arrested or detained shall be entitled to compensation and public apology from the appropriate authority or person.”
Barrister Ajibola who described the steps taken by the government to unveil the identity of the occupants of the JTF vehicle that allegedly chased the deceased to death as commendable, said the action has further informed the petitioners the need to pursue the case to finality by ensuring that whoever is found culpable is dealt with in accordance with the Constitution.
He commended government for not covering up the matter after the names of the officers were made known by the Criminal Investigation Department of the Nigeria Police Force assigned to investigate the matter.
A copy of the police investigation report forwarded by the government indicated that “the incident that claimed the life of one Idris Ajibola (male), 17 years old, among the four occupants of the Toyota Corrola Sallon vehicle number ABUJA KUJ 553 LY, was assigned to State Criminal Investigation Department, Nigeria Police Force, Osogbo for discreet investigation and report.
“Consequent upon the investigation, the following: Ejigbo Audu (NPF); Benjamin Ogunsesan (NPF); Jekayinfa Olutosin (NSCDC); Raji Adewale (SSS); and Hammed Yusuf (NAF), who occupied the JTF patrol team 004 surveillance patrol vehicle on the fateful day of the accident, 15th September, 2020 have been recommended for withdrawal from the Joint Task Force (JTF) and to face departmental disciplinary action in their various commands,” the report reads in parts.
The panel, led by its Chairman, Justice Akin Oladimeji (rtd.), adopted the final written address forwarded by the petitioners’ counsel for recommendation to the government for appropriate compensation.
Meanwhile, the parents of the deceased have also lauded the State Government for endorsing the report and revealing the alleged killer officers.
Addressing journalists after the closure of their cases, mother of the deceased, Mrs. Titilayo Ajibola, who was accompanied by her husband and other members of the family said the unveiling of the identities of the alleged erring officers was an indication of the fact that their case before the panel was genuine adding that the request for the sum of N5billion compensation was to cushion the trauma experienced from the incident as the deceased was the only male child of the family.