By Temitope Adedeji, Akure
The recent claim by the police and Amotekun officers that they jointly secured the release of the couple kidnapped in Ondo state has been proved wrong by the victims.
Mr & Mrs Gbenga Ibikunle who were recently kidnapped along Uso – Owo road said it was untrue that the police and Amotekun corps in the state secured their release from their abductors.
The couple were kidnapped by some suspected gunmen along Akure-Owo Expressway at Uso community while traveling with their children from Ebonyi State to Akure last Tuesday.
Our correspondent gathered that the kidnappers dragged the victims into the forest, leaving their three children in their Lexus saloon car.
The husband, Gbenga Ibikunle claimed, however, that the claims of the security agents and Amotekun were far from true as it was his family members that paid the ransom demanded by the kidnappers.
He said “We were traveling back from Ebonyi state to Akure on the 5th of January and when we got to Uso towards Ogbese, I saw a bike man riding in front of my car in the same direction. All of a sudden, he stopped and I hit him with my car.
“As I stopped to help the man alongside my wife, the kidnappers came out from the bush and started shooting for about 10 mins.
“They started beating me and later marched us into the bush. They ransacked my car and carted away valuable items including huge sum of money.
“My children wanted to follow us to where they were dragging us but the kidnappers chased them to the road.
“We walked for like five hours inside the bush and later took us to where they keep other victims. They tied us down and started beating us again.
“They later gave us mobile phone to call our family demanding for N20million ransom.
“At the end of the day, my family rally round and paid N2million. Other victims, we met paid N10million and we were all released at the same spot. In fact, I was the one who carried the money to where they counted it to confirm if the ransom was complete.
“I was then surprised that police were claiming that they rescued me. If the police were professional enough, they would have arrested them all because they came out on the major road to collect the ransom. They are just deceiving us all. ”
The Ondo State Police Command had claimed they arrested two suspects in connection with the abduction of the couple.
Meanwhile, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Tee-Leo Ikoro, had earlier said the crack detectives comprising of the police, military, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and Amotekun were already on top of the situation while investigations were ongoing.
He said, “As I speak with you, the detectives are combing the forest and I am sure they will soon be released.
“We heard they were asking for N20million ransom, but we are not interested in that. Rather, we are going after them and the victims would soon be released.”