Metuh Lashes Out at Presidential Campaign Committee
By Ibidapo Balogun
The blame game continues in the People’s Democratic Party over the loss of the March 28 presidential election by President Goodluck Jonathan.
The governors had earlier blamed the National Working Committee headed by the party’s Chairman Adamu Mu’azu for the loss and called for Mu’azu’s resignation.
It was the turn of the party’s National Publicity Secretary Olisa Metuh on Monday to hit back at those asking the NWC members to resign.
He blamed the party’s Presidential Campaign Committee for the poor management of the campaigns. He said the campaign committee sidelined the party organ in the running of the presidential campaign.
Metuh said the outcome would have been different if the party machinery was used to run the campaign as it happened in 2011.
He said the N4billion released to the campaign committee from the N7billion realised during the launch of President Jonathan’s campaign was not well managed.
Mu’azu had hit back at the presidency and the PDP governors calling on him to quit. He warned them against “the developing culture of using and dumping.”
He rejected any blame on him and NWC for the party’s defeat.
The Southwest caucus of the party had also at the weekend called on PDP National Secretary, Prof. Wale Oladipo, and National Auditor, Alhaji Adewole Adeyanju, to resign.
But Oladipo said he would not resign and cautioned the former Deputy National Chairman of the party, Chief Olabode George, against what he called divisive politics.
Oladipo condemned the call on him and the National Auditor to resign from the party’s NWC.
He had also faulted the communiqué purportedly issued by some PDP leaders in the South-west calling on the two national officers to resign.
According to the communiqué, the resignation was to pave way for the dissolution of the National Working Committee as a fall-out of the 2015 general election.
“A very careful examination of the inherent breaches in the procedures adopted in the convening of the meeting as well as the content and tone of its resolution shows an orchestration by a few individuals bent on sowing a seed of discord within the PDP fold in the zone,” Oladipo said.
In a statement he issued on Sunday, Oladipo added; “This is evident in the fact that the said communiqué in no way reflected the views of majority of those who attended the meeting, neither did it tally with the opinion of the generality of our party members in the region.
“It is indeed undermining and a clear breach of protocol the fact that a meeting of some leaders of the zone would be convened to discuss issues of the party’s presidential campaigns and the highest-ranking national officers of the party from the zone were excluded”.