*Saraki’s counsel challenges composition of Tribunal
The Code of Conduct Tribunal has adjourned proceedings in the false and improper assets declaration case preferred against Senate President Bukola Saraki till Tuesday, September 22.
The tribunal sat on Monday in Abuja, though the Senate President did not appear before it, the second tile since last week when the trial started.
The tribunal sitting came despite the order of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, which directed that all the parties to the case should appear before it on the same Monday to show cause why the tribunal should not be restrained from entertaining the case.
At Monday’s sitting of the tribunal, counsel to Saraki, Joseph Daudu (SAN) challenged the status of the tribunal saying it was not properly constituted. He said the tribunal is supposed to have the Chairman and two members, not the chairman and one member, which it has at present.
But Counsel to the Code of Conduct Bureau, Rotimi Jacobs, challenged Daudu, saying the tribunal was properly constituted.
The tribunal chairman Danladi Umar said the panel was properly constituted and after listening to the two parties, he adjourned proceedings till tomorrow at 10 am.
The tribunal has restated its earlier order that the Inspector-General of Police, Sunday Arase, should produce Saraki in court on Tuesday.
The Code of Conduct Bureau had preferred a 13-count charge bordering on false or improper assets declaration while in office as governor of Kwara State from 2003 to 2007 against Saraki.
Meanwhile, 50 Senators had met on Sunday in Abuja to defend what they described as the institution of the Senate.
They said they support the anti-corruption war but also felt the institution of the Senate should be protected.
President Muhammadu Buhari has also said he has no hand in the ongoing trial of Saraki. He said it was purely a judicial process and that Saraki should hire competent lawyers to defend himself.