The monarch of Iba town in Lagos state, Oba Yushau Oseni, has not been released by his abductors as widely reported by some online media including WESTERN POST.
The 74-year-old monarch was abducted in his palace in Iba on Saturday, July 16 at about 8 pm.
Contrary to social media reports, the monarch’s son, Saheed Oseni, said on Saturday that his father was yet to be released.
Saheed spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos following the rumours that his father had been released. He said that the monarch was still with the kidnappers.
He, however, pleaded with the kidnappers to release the traditional ruler.
“Contrary to rumours making the rounds that the monarch had been released by the kidnappers, he has not been released.
“Rather efforts are ongoing to ensure he reunites with his family members and Iba community safe and alive.
“The Lagos State Government is also working to ensure his release and everyone in the palace is not relenting in their efforts,” he said.
Oseni who hoped the rumour could become a reality, appealed to every Nigerian to also join the family and the community in prayers for the safe return of the monarch.
One of the king’s daughters and former Chairperson, Iba Local Government Council, Mrs. Ramota Oseni, earlier disclosed that the abductors contacted the family on July 20 and demanded N500milion as ransom.
Meanwhile, Dolapo Badmos, Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Police Command, said the command was working round the clock to ensure the monarch is rescued from those that kidnapped him.
“With all we have on ground, we are optimistic he will regain his freedom in a short while,” she said.