Residents of Surulere particularly those of Akobi Crescent, have been urged to remain calm following the heavy downpour of Saturday night that left the area covered in waste.
The Acting Managing Director of LAWMA, Mr. Ibrahim Odumboni, made this call when he and his team paid a visit to the affected areas in the early hours of Sunday to access firsthand the situation and commence cleanup exercise.
Odumboni said there was no need for panic as the agency is currently doing everything to make sure that the waste is cleared out within the shortest possible time.
He assured the people of the government’s commitment in maintaining a consistently cleaner and better Lagos for all.
However, describing the situation as ‘avoidable,’ the LAWMA boss said the indiscriminate disposal of waste into drainage, roads, canals was majorly responsible for what had happened in the area.
Odumboni condemned this attitude stating that under no circumstances should anyone dump refuse in drainage channels, medians, lagoons or any other unauthorized outlets.
“The first thing you should understand is that this kind of situation can be avoided. It is a terrible situation and an eyesore to say the least but can we avoid it? Yes! How? Sort your waste. Don’t drop any waste on the road or into the drainage system. Governor Sanwo Olu has launched several initiatives, a lot of awareness campaign is ongoing, we as a people need to do better,” Odumboni said.
Noting that the incessant flooding incidents in Lagos and hence Surulere have become a major cause of concern especially because of its disastrous aftermath, Odumboni said there was an urgent need for residents to imbibe the culture of sorting of waste from the point of generation.
‘What has happened here today is not one that we are proud of as a government and also as a people. We have said it and will continue to stress that indiscriminate disposal of waste is bad for our state. Lagosians need to be more responsible and cooperate with the government because it is only by working together we can defeat this menace,’ Odumboni said.
Odumboni admonished those who were yet to key into the Blue Box Initiative to do so. He said while ninety percent of the wastes on the streets were recyclables, the government is already looking into how these wastes can be useful.
Meanwhile, LAWMA had earlier this week announced plans to increase its solid waste evacuation from tenements and commercial facilities to approved dumpsites from 500 trips daily to 850, to enable it cope with over 12,000 metric tonnes of waste generated daily in the state.