The Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said on Sunday that the military was satisfied with the ongoing operations in Borno.
Olukolade said this in an interview with newsmen on the sideline of media tour of military operations in Maiduguri.
He said the troops had been able to sustain momentum in terms of the offensive against the terrorists, notwithstanding the reactions from the insurgents.
“The bases we visited are part of the responses to the terrorist offensive and that is an achievement; the military had moved close to where the insurgents are.
“It shows that the military had taken over the land.”
The defence spokesman said that the morale of the soldiers was high, adding that ”we are expecting to see more successes from the troops”.
A correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), who was on the media tour, reports that the group visited military camps in and around Maiduguri.
The group visited 7 Division Headquarters of the Nigeria Army, 7 Division Garrison, Military check points in and around Maiduguri, amongst others.
At the camp in the outskirts of Bulanbuli, the soldiers were seen carrying out their duties as expected.
Maj.-Gen. Ahmed Mohammed, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, who was also on the tour of the formations, told the troops that the Federal Government was happy with their operations.
“That is why we are here to say a big thank you and to convey the appreciation of the whole country.
“I wish to say big thanks for your courage and dedication.”
The journalists were also taken on night patrols by the troops which lasted from 9 p. m. to 12.30 a.m. around Maiduguri and it’s environs.
The essence of the tour, according to Olukolade, is to have first-hand information on the operations of the troops.