Home Features Xenophobia: Two Wrongs Do Not Make A Right – Sanwo-Olu

Xenophobia: Two Wrongs Do Not Make A Right – Sanwo-Olu

118
0

Advises parents to warn their wards against taking to violence

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Wednesday advised that two wrongs don’t make a right. He said this when he addressed Lagos residents regarding the xenophobic attacks which destroyed properties owned by Nigerians in South Africa.

The governor advised parents to warn their children against retaliating such violent acts, stressing that the full wrath of the law would be brought on anyone caught in reprisal against peace-loving foreigners and businesses in the state.

Sanwo-Olu said he would not condone violence of any form on innocent residents and businesses in the state by any person or group.

He said: “We have watched the disturbing videos of attacks and vandalism against Nigerian nationals and their businesses in South Africa. This precipitated strong reactions by some Nigerians who chose to vent their anger on investments on South Africans in Lagos yesterday.

“As a Government, we condemn the violence visited on innocent people by the hoodlums who attacked Shoprite and other business interests owned by South Africans in Lagos. We cannot attempt to find a solution to a criminality by committing criminality. This is not part of our values as Nigerians.

“Therefore, I wish to state categorically that Lagos will remain safe for all Nigerian citizens and law-abiding foreign nationals who are here for business.

“We will not condone any act that can lead to breakdown of law and order.

Governor Sanwo-Olu implored all residents to go about their lawful businesses without any fear noting that Lagos will remain open to local and foreign investments.

He called for calm, pointing out that the Federal Government had been responding to xenophobic violence in South Africa at the diplomatic level.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here